Why Should Your Website have an SSL Certificate?
In the year 2014, Google announced that by adding an SSL 2048-bit key certificate and HTTPS on your website will boost ranking. Ever since, it has caused a lot of confusion. The main objective of this move was to ensure that users feel secure online. SSL protects sensitive information across several computer networks across the globe. However, it has been found that only 1.9% of the websites have been redirected to their SSL version. It still remains unclear to several business owners about how it will affect their SEO. Hire a good web design company and ensure that you are able to work towards making your website highly secure for your users.
What Is SSL?
Secure Sockets Layer or SSL is a standard technology that establishes an encrypted connection between a host ( web server) and a client( web browser). This ensures that all the data that passes through this connection remains private. The https:// in the address bar indicates that you are using a secure connection through SSL. What’s more is, if you have an e-store or if you sell products online, SSL helps in building trust with your consumers.
Interestingly, Google claims that websites having HTTPS will benefit in the form of a better ranking due to their security aspects. You may consult a reputed web designer and avail the benefits of an SSL certificate. Let’ s understand how switching to HTTPS will offer you advantages in SEO.
1. Increased Rankings
As mentioned above, Google has confirmed to boost ranking of websites with HTTPS. Although it may not be a significant boost, it still does benefit your overall rankings. Also, the value of switching to HTTPS may increase over a period of time.
2. Referrer Information
The information or traffic that passes through an HTTPS site is secure and therefore preserved. This is not the case when traffic passes through an HTTP site.
3. Privacy and Security
HTTPS add security and privacy for your SEO goals in several ways:
• It makes sure that the website is “the one” before it talks to the server, making it highly secure
• It secures from any tampering by third parties
• Your website is made more secure for your visitors
• This move encrypts all communication including URLs that protect your browsing history and credit card numbers.
What Are The Best Practices While Switching To HTTPS?
As a business owner, you should not be worried about switching from HTTP to HTTPS. Google has in fact been telling webmasters to do so as it will not affect the SEO efforts. Some tips provided by Google are;
• Use 2048-bit key certificates
• Decide whether you need a single, multi -domain or a wildcard certificate
• Use relative URLs for resources within the same secure domain and protocol URLs for other domains.
• Allow your HTTPS site to crawl using robots.txt
• Allow search engines to index your pages wherever possible. Try and avoid using the “no index”robots meta tag.
• You can refer to the Google Webmaster Tools to handle HTTPS sites in a better way.
• Use the analytics software to track your HTTP to HTPPS migration and other Google Webmaster Tools.
Privacy and security matters to customers especially if your website is asking them to give sensitive information. HTTPS may also help you rank better in Google. If you need any help with https certificates then contact a website development company today.